Community Art Project11 Dec 2017
PUBLIC ART OPPORTUNITY
COLONNADES SHOPING CENTRE – 2018
- Public Art Opportunity Brief
For families and friends, Colonnades is the vibrant, relaxed community hub that delivers a wide selection of accessible fashion, a value focused fresh food market, cafes and lifestyle choices. It offers an exciting, comfortable and affordable place to shop, eat and enjoy time with friends. Colonnades has experiences for friends and family to enjoy in a convenient, comfortable and affordable atmosphere.
We have a continued focus on community engagement, and wish to continue to enhance the centre as a community hub.
We have teamed up with the Onkaparinga Council to bring a wall to life, with a unique and vibrant mural. This will further enhance the Ramsay Place area which Colonnades Shopping Centre, and the Onkaparinga Council are continually working on to improve.
We would love to see this wall space become a feature in the area itself, increase traffic and engagement with the location for both local community and visitors to the region, enhance the work being done within the Activate Ramsay Place Project and help the area become a vibrant, positive place to be.
Colonnades Shopping Centre seeks to commission a local artist to do the above.
Colonnades Shopping Centre will care for and maintain the completed works.
The project requires artist(s) to work in conjunction with the Colonnades Shopping Centre.
The location is the wall space between the mall entrances (near food court) off Ramsay Place, Noarlunga Centre.
This space is a high traffic area which allows a large space to engage artists and the public in creating something unique. The entry point next to the proposed location is consistently Colonnades Shopping Centres 3rd highest foot traffic entrance and has great visibility from the Hopgood Theatre and Council buildings. The location also compliments the stage 2 development works of Ramsay Place which will complete by 2017.
Please see photo below.
- Project Details
The artwork must:
- be contained within the designated wall/ceiling space specified.
- enhance the work being done within the Activate Ramsay Place Project and help the area become a vibrant, positive place to be.
- engage the locals.
- be unique for Colonnades Shopping Centre and the local community.
- be visually appropriate and relevant to Colonnades Shopping Centre and Ramsay Place.
- be commissioned during Colonnades Shopping Centre core trading hours.
The work should:
- withstand the potential build-up of pollutants.
- be easily cleaned to remove dirt and general grime.
- be treated with anti-graffiti coating, depending on the nature of materials used or resistant to graffiti.
- meet all relevant safety standards.
There is a total budget of $5,000 excluding GST which must cover all costs of the art outcome, inclusive of all materials, insurances, delivery of work and artists commission fees.
- Expression of Interest Process
Expressions of interest must be formatted into one PDF file and include:
- a short statement in response to the EOI selection criteria.
- a current curriculum vitae.
- up to 10 image examples of previous work.
- names and contact details of two referees.
Expressions of interest must be forwarded to the Colonnades Shopping Centre by 11pm, Friday 22nd December 2017, via:
Attention: Jessica Zammit
PO Box 568 Noarlunga Centre
- EOI Selection Criteria
The successful artist must provide evidence of:
- an understanding of the brief.
- a short written description of a mural design you could offer for this site. (This will be finalised with Colonnades Shopping Centre, during the collaboration design process).
- an ability to develop concepts and communicate ideas.
- examples of art work of high artistic merit.
- an ability to work on public art projects within timelines and budgets.
- availability throughout the proposed project period.
EOI – Due by 11pm, Friday 22nd December 2017
Artist Shortlisted – By Wednesday 31st January 2018
Artist Announced – By Wednesday 14th February 2018
Artist Collaboration with Colonnades Shopping Centre on Design – March 2018
Artist Commissioning Works – April 2018
- Further Information
For further information and queries please contact:
Jessica Zammit – Retail Manager – Colonnades Shopping Centre
Phone: (08) 8384 2000